Thursday, July 7, 2011

Teaching! Well I Never

Anyone who knows me from back in the day knows I was far from a model student!
I have a good aptitude for learning but if I'm not completely in to what ever it is I'm being taught then I have about a 5 minute attention span,
School was just something I had to do, but I had no idea about what I wanted to do when I left, I had various jobs including construction then went into the post office which to be honest is like quick sand, so many guys there with trades, and degrees, electricians, plumbers builders, guys with marketing degrees, even an accountant and lawyer! and when you ask why are you working here? the reply is always "oh it's just temporary" then 5 years later your still eating breakfast in the canteen with these guys! I know this because I had the same mindset when I went in there, you have your afternoon's free to plan or study and get ready to move on, suddenly it's 18 years later and I'm one of the senior men in the office! like I said quick sand!
I had managed to do 4 Training certifications in that time as I was planning to move out here to Malaysia
completing another personal training certification and a vibration training cert once I got here, I ended up at Golds Gym at least half of my regular clients were 16 to 18 year old's playing school sports mostly rugby
looking to gain size, also 70% of them were post rehab ACL surgeries, so I found myself in the role of teacher,
teaching these guys basic anatomy and muscle function, planes of motion, muscle pairings, movement patterns, 
the principles of agonist, antagonist, synergist's, stabilizer's,
and having these guy's call me SIR! which I hate and told them so, and in typical teenage fashion they delighted in calling me that at every opportunity!
I even had a particular client who was here from Iran and spoke no English! and seeing as I don't speak Farsi
was one of my biggest challenges, and he for some reason decided to call me Teacher,
It was a good learning experience for both of us, as we came to find out that language is not such a barrier, I demonstrated every movement, form, and technique that I wanted him to perform and with his eagerness to learn and inability to understand me talking, it really sharpened his attention and as we as adults learn more visually made it a very good experience for us, with productive sessions filled with smiles and laughter.


So anyone reading this who knows me from way back, yes I teach people stuff crazy right!
and if there are any of my old teachers who stumble across this blog, and who thought I would amount to nothing IN YOUR FACE BITCHES! I teach too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment